Monday 23 September 2013

Artist: Agnes Cecile

Silvia Pelissero, who is best known as Agnes Cecile, is an Italian self-taught artist famous for her expressive watercolour and enamel paintings. She had always been one of my favourite artists because I love and admire the way she handles watercolour. She is able to control the paint, yet giving it freedom on the paper to express herself, such that each splatter of the paint in done with intention, the direction and area of the wash is in her control. But when we look at her works, there's a sense of freedom and expressiveness from those splatters and washes.

For her watercolour works, she would normally just do a simple light outline, and then paint everything in watercolour. As the process progresses, colours would flow, paint would drip and dots of colours would be splattered in some places. And this is where the magic takes place. It is amazing to watch her paint, seeing how a watercolour portrait that is already so fantastic by itself, transform into an emotional and expressive piece that I just want to look at all day long.

Agnes Cecile with her works
She's pretty too! haha
Ragazza Falena
Watercolours
This one was in my coursework prep board as an Artist Inspiration!
I love the fact that the colours she chose are beautiful and deliberate to fit in with the mood too. The faces she paint always mangaged to draw me in, like each of them is trying to tell the viewers their stories with the colours, the splashes, and their expressions.

(Though I do hope she can try faces with a larger variety of expressions)
Miss Universe
Watercolour and Ink

take off in flight / spiccare il volo



the water workshop II
The Water Workshop II
Watercolour and Ink


Also, another reason as to why I love her so much is that she's really really versatile. She's amazing at watercolour, yes, but the way she handles other mediums are just as good! Below are several works she's done in different mediums:
Anyway Just Tell Me Who I Am
Acrylic, Watercolour, Charcoal, Ink

Breathing-On Blackboard
Watercolour and chalk 


our lines, our story, it isn’t a linear path
Our Lines, Our Story, It Isn't a Linear Path
Varnish
My Eyes Refuse to Accept Passive Tears
Oil

Clint Eastwood
Pencil
Embrace
Digital

About a New Place
Acrylic on Wall
After following her for a while, I am now much in love with watercolours and really wish to be better at handling that medium (I don't think I did too badly for my coursework...considering it's the first time I used watercolour:) So after the exams, I am going to work on my watercolour skills definitely! I don't think I'll ever be as good as her, but I'll try my best with this medium!:)

Nanyang
Watercolour on Paper
2013
(One of the drafts I've done for my coursework- I didn't exactly follow her style though)

If you are interested to find out more about Agnes Cecile (I know you are), below are links to her website and deviant art account, go and take a look~immerse yourselves in her pro-ness;):

Oh and do check out her Youtube video, where you can watch her paint (they are speed paintings, so don't worry, they are not too long)

No comments:

Post a Comment