Monday 23 September 2013

SPH Photography

Since photography had always been something that I really enjoyed and loved, I jumped at the chance to become a member of the student photojournalists at Singapore Press Holding (SPH), when I first saw their notice in Dou Hao in 2011. One criteria was to send in 5 photos I had taken that are of different themes along with my application form. So after rejecting many photos because they were of the same theme, I was left with 7 to choose from. And since I still could not decide, I printed them out, and well, I got my answer (I had printed from the school printer--I saw the notice too late so there was no time for me to send them for professional printing):, as the colours turned out pretty different after printing.

Anyway, these were the 5 I sent to them:
Landscape
Yunnan, China
2011

Animal
Yunnan, China
2011

Flowers (and a little of animal though..)
Yunnan, China
2011

People
Yunnan, China
2011

Motion
USS, Singapore
2011

 And here are the 2 that I rejected, mainly because their colours turned out a little horrible after printing...though I really loves the first one..

People
Yunnan, China
2011

Landscape
Yunnan, China
2011
As for the results...I got a phone call from SPH a few weeks later to tell me that I have passed the first round, and that I was to go for a trial shooting, and interview. It was pretty exciting, of course. W

e were given 5 themes (One of them was that we have to go up to a person and ask if we can take a photo of them)and a free theme (a photo that is not under any of the 5 themes, and we have to come up with the theme for it ourselves), and was brought around Toa Payoh in groups to do the shooting.It was definitely a new and enriching experience, I had to look at the place I had lived in for years (Yes, I live there) through a camera lens, and try to identify potential subject matters to shoot, and also, one of the themes were actually pretty hard to do...we had to go around searching for people doing that action (I've only got a good one in the last minuet--luckily there was a performance going on at the central..phew). Another very challenging part was that since all of us were taken along the same route, we see pretty much the same things, so we do have to try and come up with something that is good, while different and stands out from the rest.

Of course, this experience was fun too! I've made new friends, and it was really cool looking through each others photos, seeing how the same thing we took photo of could look so different on each of our cameras, because of the difference in styles. And also learning little tricks from each other on how to take better photos;)

I didn't get in in the end---I kind of really nervous during the interview (my first ever interview): and I think I blabbered nonsense so... I was pretty sad at that time, but I now I think it's fine too, since I have learnt a lot from it (from both the shooting and the interview--I now realise the importance of looking at where the camera is focusing on)! And I'll definitely try again in the future if I have the time:)

I'm not uploading the photos during the trial though...since I think they keep the same themes every year so..yeah.


No comments:

Post a Comment